Discussion Questions - Week 10
Unfolding Grace – Week 10
God's covenant with Israel (Exodus 18-20)
Read pages 129-137 in Unfolding Grace this week.
- Read Exodus 19:1–6. God is about to give Israel His law. What is the foundation He lays in these first verses for commanding obedience to His law?
- Why is it important to remember that God delivered Israel from slavery first, and then gave the Ten Commandments?
- How are God’s holiness and grace demonstrated in His giving Israel the Ten Commandments?
- What do the Ten Commandments reveal about God’s values and the priorities He desires His people to embrace?
- How does obedience to the four “vertical” commands cause a person to obey the six “horizontal”commands?
- What do people in your culture tend to worship, and how do they express that worship?
- How is jealousy a virtue in God but generally a vice in humans? Why is it good for God to demand His own worship and defend His own glory?
- Why does the righteousness displayed in these commands cause people to lose hope? What restores that hope?
- How did the law prepare you for Christ? (Galatians 3:24)
- From Sunday’s sermon, what did you find either most encouraging or most challenging?