Unfolding Grace - Week 20
Unfolding Grace – Week 20
The temple built by Solomon (1 Kings 6-9)
Read pages 279-298 in Unfolding Grace this week.
- There were three catalytic principles for change mentioned in Sunday’s sermon. Why do you believe the Church has experienced such difficulty recognizing both the Word and the Holy Spirit are necessary to bring about change in our lives?
- Scripture teaches we are baptized and sealed once by the Holy Spirit at the moment of conversion. Others call this process being born again. Scripture also teaches we are to “be filled” with the Holy Spirit. Discuss the distinction between these two equally true concepts and the implications for us as believers.
- Scripture teaches that our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit. 4 steps typically involved to being filled with the Spirit were mentioned Sunday. Please discuss these 4 steps. Please consider taking some time this coming week to walk through these steps.
Please pray for each other as you pursue being filled with the Spirit.
- There were 7 changes to expect when you are filled with the Spirit mentioned in Sunday’s sermon. Have you experienced any of these changes? Please be willing to share with your group. Are there one or more of these changes you would like to see in your life? Please be willing to share with one another.
- How have you experienced transformation by the power of the Holy Spirit? Are there areas of your life that need further transformation?
Please pray for each other.
- From Sunday’s sermon, what did you find either most encouraging or most challenging?
SERMON NOTES FOR THIS WEEK:
Three catalytic principles:
#1: God is able to bring about change in my life!
#2: God changes my life as I abide in His Word.
#3: God changes my life through the power of His Spirit.
And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit,
How to Be Filled with the Holy Spirit
Step #1 Desire to be filled with the Spirit.
(Matthew 5:6; John 7:37-39; Ephesians 3:19)
Step #2 Confess and repent of all known sins.
(Ps. 139:23-24; Ps. 51; Acts 3:19-20; 1 John 1:7-2:2)
Step #3 Yield complete control of my life to the Lordshipof
(Mt. 16:24-26; Rom. 12:1-2; Gal. 2:20)
Step #4 By faith, ask God and expect God to fill me with His
Spirit—for my good and His glory!
(Luke 11:13; 1 John 5:14-15)
Changes to Expect When I am Filled with the Spirit
- A change in my worship experience. (Eph. 5:19)
- A change in my attitude. (Eph. 5:20)
- A change in my relationships. (Eph. 5:21)
- Less and less works of the flesh in my life. (Gal. 5:19-21)
- More and more fruit of the Spirit. (Gal. 5:22-23)
- Empowerment to use my gifts to serve others in the body of Christ in a variety of activities all for the common good. (1 Corinthians 12:4-11)
- Boldness to speak the word of God as a witness for Christ. (Acts 1:8)
More in HBC Blog
January 4, 2022Pursuing God in 2022
December 1, 2021How to Not Lose Heart
December 1, 2021TITUS - Week 7: Thick Skin and a Tender Heart