Discussion Questions - Week 4
Unfolding Grace – Week 4
Abraham and the Promise of Isaac (Genesis 15-18)
Read pages 45-54 in Unfolding Grace this week.
- Read Genesis 15:1-6. Putting your own name in place of Abraham’s name, what would it mean to you personallyto hear God say to you in your own situation, “Fear not, _____, I am your shield; your reward shall be very great”?
- How is Abraham’s response a modelfor us in dealing with our own fear and doubt?
- Read Romans 4:1-8. How does Paul’s discussion of Abraham’s faith help you understand the relationship between “believing God” and “righteousness”?
- Read Galatians 3:5-9. What “gospel” was preached beforehand to Abraham?
- Read Galatians 3:13-14. How are we as Gentiles included in the promises made to Abraham?
- Read John 8:56. What does this mean? In what way did Abraham “see”the day of Jesus? Why did it make him glad?
- Read Genesis 15:7–18. Have in your group someone explain this covenant ceremony (see Jeremiah 34:18). When God “cut a covenant” with Abraham, why was it only God, and not Abraham also, who passed through the pieces?
- Why did God submit Himself to this strange ceremony to make an oath? Read Hebrews 6:13-20.
- From Sunday’s sermon, what did you find either most encouraging or most challenging?
More in HBC Blog
January 4, 2022Pursuing God in 2022
December 1, 2021How to Not Lose Heart
December 1, 2021TITUS - Week 7: Thick Skin and a Tender Heart