Discussion Questions - Week 4
Unfolding Grace – Week 4
Abraham and the Promise of Isaac (Genesis 15-18)
Read pages 45-54 in Unfolding Grace this week.
- Read Genesis 15:1-6. Putting your own name in place of Abraham’s name, what would it mean to you personallyto hear God say to you in your own situation, “Fear not, _____, I am your shield; your reward shall be very great”?
- How is Abraham’s response a modelfor us in dealing with our own fear and doubt?
- Read Romans 4:1-8. How does Paul’s discussion of Abraham’s faith help you understand the relationship between “believing God” and “righteousness”?
- Read Galatians 3:5-9. What “gospel” was preached beforehand to Abraham?
- Read Galatians 3:13-14. How are we as Gentiles included in the promises made to Abraham?
- Read John 8:56. What does this mean? In what way did Abraham “see”the day of Jesus? Why did it make him glad?
- Read Genesis 15:7–18. Have in your group someone explain this covenant ceremony (see Jeremiah 34:18). When God “cut a covenant” with Abraham, why was it only God, and not Abraham also, who passed through the pieces?
- Why did God submit Himself to this strange ceremony to make an oath? Read Hebrews 6:13-20.
- From Sunday’s sermon, what did you find either most encouraging or most challenging?