Discussion Questions - Week 8
Unfolding Grace – Week 8
God's judgment of Egypt (Exodus 7-10)
Read pages 99-111 in Unfolding Grace this week.
- Many people have a hard time with OT stories in which they think God appears vengeful and unyielding. Do you think that is the case in his dealings with Egypt? Does this God seem different to you from the God who became flesh in Jesus Christ? Why or why not?
- How is the first commandment, “Do not have other gods besides Me,” related to what Jesus called the greatest command (Matthew 22: 37-38)?
- How does it change your understanding of the plagues to know that they were not directed primarily at the people of Egypt but at their gods?
- How does God’s purpose in the plagues—that people would know that He is Yahweh—represent the opportunity for Egypt to experience mercy? Why did most of Egypt experience judgment instead?
- While it is hard for us to understand as well as to accept, the Bible makes clear that Pharaoh hardened his heart and also that God hardened Pharaoh’s heart. What are the implications in this forus in regard to how we respond when we hear God’s Word?
- What serves some people as gods of provision and prosperity today? As gods of agricultural success? As gods of security and peace?
- How do we sometimes qualify our repentance and submission to God? Which of these reservations persist for many years after our conversion? How do we move toward complete submission?
- From Sunday’s sermon, what did you find either most encouraging or most challenging?
More in HBC Blog
June 15, 2021Unfolding Grace - Week 24
June 15, 2021Israel se compromete nuevamente a obedecer a Dios (Nehemías 8-10)
June 15, 2021Semana 24 - Israel se compromete nuevamente a obedecer a Dios